Monday, August 17, 2009

Frank and Ernest





I had a vacation day in Chicago and decided to visit a couple of cultural sites. I read in the ALA Program Guide that there was a side trip to the Frank Lloyd Wright Home and Studio in Oak Park, approximately ten miles outside Chicago. However, several program sessions were offered at the same time and although it was tempting (a bus conveniently would leave right from the hotels and go directly to the Home and Studio), my main goal in attending the conference was to learn about library service!

So, I planned it for my day off. I took the "L" (elevated rapid transit) for $2.25 to Oak Park. With Google Map in hand, I walked atleast a mile and a half past the Home and Studio area, and had to take a taxi back to the site! I do this frequently in unfamiliar areas ... once I walked right passed the Canadian Opera building in Toronto on my way to the Canadian Opera building.

I had never been to a Frank Lloyd Wright building and was so thrilled to have this opportunity. Photos I had seen of his buildings were nothing compared to actually being in one; it was an atmoshere, not so much a building. So much wood, so oak, so linear. Oak walls, oak furniture, stained glass all throughout the house. The hallways leading to rooms were very narrow, because he wanted a wow factor as you entered each room. He loved nature, and attempted to include it in this house ... at one time there was a tree growing through the house. The studio was just as grand.

My goal now is to visit more of Wright's houses. Where in the world would that bring me? We shall see!


I visited the birthplace in Oak Park of Ernest Hemingway. It was the last tour of the day, and there was only one other person on the tour, so the Guide took some extra time. I learned more about Ernest Hemingway in one hour than I had in my entire life. I now have some insight into what motivated him. I recall in school reading Old Man and the Sea and the teacher explaining what the fisher's hand represented. I looked at my friend across the aisle in disbelief ... he's got to be kidding me!

I ended the day by having a tall well deserved glass of Coca Cola a top the John Hancock building. I also walked on the boundaries of Millenium Park. Fabulous shopping at the Magnificent Mile (one whole mile of shopping). My feet are killing me!

1 comment:

Sara in Halifax said...

Have you read Nancy Horan's "Loving Frank"? It's a fictionalized account of his love affair with Mamah Borthwick Cheney, a former client? It's a great read!